Saturday, September 15, 2012

Got Zucchini.....Still? Make This Bread!


I had forgotton how fabulous this Zucchini Bread recipe is until I had a lot of zucchini to use up! The orange and coconut in it is what makes it irresistable. It is a very easy recipe also.


I hadn't had a lot of zucchini over the summer and the season for them is pretty much over here in the Northeast. When I saw some really nice ones at a roadside stand I couldn't resist buying 3 of them for 25 cents each. I decided to have a zucchini bread baking marathon. This recipe makes two nice sized loaves, so I set out my two mixing bowls to make two recipes at once.

The Junior League of Rochester, NY put out a cookbook in 1991 called For Goodness Taste. Every recipe in it is fabulous and this one is called.....
 

 Taster's Choice Zucchini Bread
 
 
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable or canola oil
3 eggs, beaten
2 1/2 cups shredded, fresh zucchini (1 1/2 lbs.)
1 medium orange, ground with the peel
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup raisins
 
Mix sugar, oil and eggs. Stir in all other ingredients.
  




Grease and flour pans (either 2 large or 3 small). Pour dough into pans.



Bake at 325 degrees 40-45 minutes for small pans, 75 minutes for large pans. I baked these about 75 minutes, but checked them at 60 minutes.

 
So good! Even the raw dough is SO good to lick off the spoon! Enjoy!!
 
 
 
It is Tuesday and I just finished off the zucchini I used for the bread to make a cake, so I had to come back, edit, and include the recipe. It is UNBELIEVABLY good. The ingredient that makes this cake irresistable is the cinnamon. It is from the sister cookbook from the Junior League of Rochester, called Applehood and Mother Pie and is simply called....
 
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
 
 
 
 
 It literally just came out of the pan to cool. I usually put a chocolate glaze over it but the recipe does not call for any frosting....it is that good by itself!

 

 2 cups sugar
3/4 cup oil
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups coarsely shredded zucchini
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup baking cocoa
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
 
In a large bowl beat sugar, oil and eggs. Add vanilla and zucchini. Mix dry ingredients together. Add alternately with milk to zucchini mixture. Blend well. Pour into a 10 inch tube or Bundt pan.
 
Bake at 350 for 50 to 60 minutes. Allow to stand 10 minutes then remove from pan.
 
 
 
These two recipes have been staples for me every year at zucchini time. You should see how messy my cookbook pages are that the recipe is on!!
 
Enjoy!
 
AnnMarie :)
 
 

 

12 comments :

  1. Yum! This post makes me wish our kitchen was updated so I could take pretty recipe pictures for my blog, lol. We're in the middle of updating our house, and the kitchen is the last to go.

    Pictures or no, though, I'm totally trying this recipe. I have lots of zucchini to use up!

    Thanks for sharing and for stopping by Lotus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm going to try THIS! I've never made zucchini bread with coconut. That sounds so yummy. Thanks, AnnMarie, for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tried zucchini bread or cake! Looks yummy!!

    Stopping by from the CASTTEAM!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm! I love zucchini bread, and I like the idea of adding coconut & orange! I usually add chocolate chips :)

    And that chocolate cake looks to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok I am saving up these recipes for summer. You can never have too many zucchini recipes (but you CAN have too many zucchinis LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooooooh yum!!!! I was drooling as I read your recipes . . .lol I have everything I need to make it except the zucchini . .boo:( But I am saving these recipes for when I DO have one:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww, thanks! That's so sweet of you to put that up for us. I'd love to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, AnnMarie! You added zucchini in chocolate cake. That is another, yes!! I will be making that too.

    Finally, my favorite flavor in all the world in a zucchini bread-type recipe. I don't think you can add anything further that would be better but do keep me posted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. When's tea? It all looks so good.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just made the bread today! Yum! So full or goodies - how could one resist. And it was fun to have a couple of loaves left over to share with others and watch their faces as they enjoyed it!! Thanks, AnnMarie. Now I'll have to try the cake . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you tried the bread Luella and that you like it! I won't make any other zucchini bread recipe. The cake is equally to die for.....

      Delete
  11. That zucchini chocolate cake is amazing! I read your post earlier, and knew I had a bunch of zucchini in my garden, so I picked some fresh, shredded it, and made this cake... I just finished a slice of it... I made a light glaze to go over it, and it was perfect for this very light and delicious chocolate cake! Thanks for this recipe, it was very timely! I can see why your pages are flour stained from making it so much... this recipe is definitely a keeper. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment...I treasure each one! Do you know if you are a no reply comment blogger? I love to reply to your comments but sometimes instead of an email there is a noreply-comment@blogger.com. It can easily be changed by changing the setting in your blogger profile to "show email address".