Tuesday, June 7, 2016

As My Garden Grows

It has been especially hard this year to get the garden growing. I missed all the garden blog hops because mine just wasn't ready.


I blame it mostly on the cold weather. My garden is almost all perennials but I do like to plant annuals in pots for around the yard and the front porch. It just never fails here in the northeast that you just can't trust the weather until after Memorial Day.


At least my favorite Spring plants came back in a big way this year and flourished.


My Bleeding Heart is just huge and was full of gorgeous flowers.


The Quince bush bloomed profusely this year and my Forget Me Nots doubled in size and quantity.








I have been collecting new things for my garden since last summer. All stored over the winter, now being revealed in my garden at last.


I found this great fence at a roadside sale I just happened to drive by on the way home from Naples. I could not afford much of what the antique dealer had but the fence was $8 so I went for it.



I love how cute an old sink filled with flowers looks in the garden so I started looking for one. I found this one at the Restore. I am still looking for a faucet. The plates are a recent barn sale find. I filled the sink with my new favorite flowers, white Bacopa.


I could not pass this rusty milk can up, even though it would be the fourth one in my collection. The wheel is a barn sale find and the watering can garland is something I have had that rusted perfectly over the years.


I found this great door last year, also at a drive by sale. It was only $5.



I didn't do anything with it last summer because I didn't know if I wanted to paint it or distress it. I figured we'd put it away for the winter and then I would deal with it in the Spring.


Fast forward to Spring and I am wondering where my door is. My husband says, "oh, it's behind the grill". It never got put in the garage for the winter!

I am so glad because the fierce northeast winter weathered it so much more perfectly than I could.





I saw the idea for a garden hose wreath on Pinterest and I just made mine very simple. I just tied a garden shovel, a garden fork and some old gloves to the top.




I showed you a sneak peek of the door in my last post but I restyled it to this....
the little rocker a recent yard sale find.




Just around the right side of the same tree is where the fairies live.



And this is where the Royal Fairies live...




I mentioned a few times before that I was going to make a fairy garden in my big galvanized tub for my garden. Well, I decided that smaller is better and I am happy with my small enamel pan fairy garden.


I even found some small plates to add to her garden. The plants are small succulents and pink baby's breath. The little fairy just sits by her house all day admiring her lovely garden.




Next to the fairy garden the Poppy's are starting to bloom...




Instead of the fairy garden, I planted purple Bacopa in my huge galvanized tub again this year. Last year it grew to overflowing and was gorgeous. It is early stages....



In my middle garden, that needs a good weeding, I tried another new idea I found online.....a succulent garden in a bird bath. The birds never noticed this old wrought iron bath last year so I decided to try a new kind of garden. It has already grown and spread out.



I hung my blue shutter up again from last year and added a rusty star to the rusty shovel that was there.

Last year I found a huge ivy geranium to hang from my post that stayed beautiful all year. This year I decided to try and plant my own in the rusty old wire basket my daughter Jena gave me for Mother's Day.




I finally found a plant to survive in my aqua wire basket. It is a very hot spot and the planter is very shallow. Purslane seems to love those conditions so we will see how it does this summer. It has the sweetest pink flowers.




Along the house I have been digging out and re-doing the garden. It was so overgrown.
Last year I had a table with a chair and the shutters in this spot....



In one summer that poor table got so weather worn that I decided not to put it out in the garden again. It is being very useful in my new booth. So instead, I did a makeover on this vignette.

The chair was a roadside find. That is my Elephant Ear plant in the large galvanized bucket that hasn't started growing yet.


The plates are another cute idea I found on the many blogs I visit. I just happened to have a few left over from the garden flowers I made last year.

The large one to the right of the shutters is one I made for myself after making three others for gifts....Aqua!




My purple Iris bloomed this year after a no show last year. They are so pretty but seem to want to grow out instead of up. I know I need to move them but I am so afraid of killing them. They are unique!


I just loved these ceramic garden hands with two birds on them. It reminds me of the scripture Job 12:10 - In whose hand is the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind.

I found them at Rite Aid of all places!!



My Orange Blossom tree is a little late in blooming this year, which is magnificent when in full bloom. Here is a peek at it just starting to pop. That's my new birdhouse hanging from it. My husband got if for me from Wegmans.

I couldn't wait for the Margarita Daisies to bloom for this post, but they look about ready to pop too.


After a long day puttering in the garden, there is a place to rest and relax....


I can finally rest a little and, like my little fairy, just sit back and watch my garden grow.


AnnMarie xoxo

I am linking up with these fine blog parties:

Home Sweet Home
Anything Blue Friday
"Anything Goes" Pink Saturday
Dishing It & Digging It Link Party
Happiness is Homemade Link Party
You're Gonna Love It Tuesday
Top Recipes, Crafts, and Tips of the Day from Plucky
Best of the Weekend
June Garden Party

59 comments :

  1. Your garden is absolutely charming! Ours is going slow go, too...the weather is not cooperating at all. I am hoping that the sun shows up soon, but I need to get a few fun accessories like you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnnMarie, It may have taken you a while to get started...but your place is beautiful. I love your flowers and the little treasures you have added here and there. Blessings for a fun summer of sitting in the garden.xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charming is the word for your garden. It's just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been busy, AnnMarie! I love that you have created vignettes around the garden. Keeps people on the move to see what prettiness might be around the corner.

    I want to do a pot with plates and saucers in it. Fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you shared this at the garden party. Pinning. :)

      Delete
  5. Greetings, AnnMarie! I surfed in through Valerie's space and have been enjoying looking at your blog and all the pretty pictures. I love your garden and the unique things you have scattered in it! Love that old door and the wreath you made. I see you also have fairies...we do as well. Granddaughter sure loves to search for them....LOL I blog from beautiful Charleston.....stop in sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnnMarie, what a beautiful spot you have there. I love all of your little touches and the fairy garden and doors are sublime. Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your garden so pretty and peaceful looking thanks for sharing visiting from talk of the town have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi AnnMarie, Your garden is lovely. You certainly have an eye for making it interesting and full of charm. Love the fairy touches and your door with the hose wreath is a treasure. The sink is awesome too. I hope you find a spigot to go with it.
    Have a great day. Blessings xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun tour of your beautiful gardens, AnnMarie! I love all the sweet vignettes! The quince with the blue forget-me-not is such a pretty combination. I didn't know there was blue bacopa - so pretty. So many little surprises - it must be so fun to spend the day in your pretty yard! Lots of great ideas! xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Ann Marie for sharing your garden at Thoughts of Home.
    I know what you mean about being late.
    Of all things heavy rain- which we always need in South Texas- slowed me down.
    Your garden is lovely!
    Thank you for being at Thoughts of Home!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a lot of cool things going on in your garden! I love how the door got "weathered". . .and your bleeding hearts are looking beautiful. Also love the plate flower. I've been contemplating making one myself for our garden. Enjoyed the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your garden decor! Thank you for sharing it at SYC!
    xx Jo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so loved taking a tour around your yard, Ann Marie. You have so much whimsy and vintage charm, that I was just oohing and ahhing. I'm going to be on the lookout for an old sink to add to my garden. One of my favorite things was the wreath you made for the old door...adorable!! Of course, your fairy gardens always attract my attention. Enjoy that rest in your hammock!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many wonderful ideas here! I pinned a couple that I must do in my own garden. LOVE it all.
    :) gwingal

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your garden is very beautiful and uniquely decorated. I like the idea of a succulent garden.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a truly lovely garden. Your bleeding heart is gorgeous and I adore the wee red chair. Thank you for so faithfully joining us at Thoughts of Home on Thursday. You are a treasured blogging friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an amazing garden!! I may want to go hang out there. Thanks for sharing at Thoughts of Home on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ann Marie,
    Your garden is simply divine! I love every single thing but I have to say the door with that adorable garden hose wreath are my favorites. If you did have a tough winter we can't tell by your lovely garden. It's certainly ready for prime time now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just gorgeous!! I'm wondering where you are in the Northeast? I'm in upstate NY - my garden is just getting going pretty good now, although not a ton blooming yet. The rhodies are lovely right now, but there's a ton more to come! Love all your accents - very tastefully done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ann Marie,
    I am so happy to see you here with us at TOHOT, but I am most happy to see all of your lovely accents and your gorgeous and thriving gardens! Look at those ferns! The hammock, the door, oh so many wonderful details to nourish the spirit!
    Happy Summer!
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  21. So many little pretty spots and so much to see. Your garden is packed with interest. I love how the door turned out - was that all done by the weather or did you have to distress it a bit more yourself? It looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are very creative and obviously energetic. So many beautiful ideas here. Love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi AnnMarie, you have found some great treasures for your garden! Such cute ideas! Everything looks so lush and green!
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  24. I so love your garden and neat ideas you have enhancing an enchanted garden. This is one thing I hope to do more of when we stop moving.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I could spend all day in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Everything looks amazing...you really have lots of good ideas in your garden..I am searching hi and lo for two tall shutters to go on ea side of our back French doors. I may have to buy new ones.....

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your garden is charming, whimsical and just plain fun! You have both an eye and a knack for finding just the right touches, and that door! Very fortuitous that it was left out all winter :).

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ann Marie, you may have had a slow start; but it now looks lovely! We had so much spring rain that things have gotten huge in mine. It's a full time job cutting back what finishes blooming to make room for other perennials. Love all of your garden art! You've created a warm and cozy garden. I bet the orange blossoms smell heavenly! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a lovely garden! Love the fairy garden!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your gardens are absolutely gorgeous, AnnMarie! Love Love Love all your perennials, and your wonderful garden accessories add so much fun and delight to your beautiful outdoor spaces.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi AnnMarie -- First of all, thanks for stopping by The Marmelade Gypsy -- it was lovely to "meet" you!

    Your garden is off and running, no matter how slow the start! I certainly wish mine looked like that! I love bleeding hearts and your plant is magnificent and so many touches -- all the perennials, the wonderful use of the vintage china! Oh, it looks like quite a little bit of heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your gardens look great AnnMarie. I love all the whimsy that you've placed here and there. It makes it so fun and interesting. The natural aging method on that door is perfect. I've used that method myself. lol. Love the hands!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your garden looks beautiful, love all the little surprises in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Every single one of your garden areas is just beautiful AnnMarie! And you're absolutely right, your white door aged perfectly over the winter and looks fantastic with your new hose wreath :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Dearest AnnMarie, your garden is incredibly beautiful and whimsical! I love every little detail that you have so lovingly placed in your garden and the china plates are especially wonderful. Thank you for sharing, sweet friend. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Simply charming AnnMarie and you know I love the whimsy! Beautiful garden!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow you did a great job with your yard and garden! I love all of your areas you created and I love the fairy garden and the tub with plates!
    Thanks for sharing this at Cooking and Crafting with J&J.
    Enjoy the week.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Ann Marie,
    just hopping back to let you know that you will be featured at SYC this week.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  39. Your garden is wonderful and I got a lot of great ideas for my own garden.

    Thanks for sharing with SYC.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow...everything looks great! :)

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for Recipes and Crafts: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Your garden is wonderful! Love the dishes in the sink! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I will share this tomorrow at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  43. AnnMarie, your garden is a feast for the eyes! So many interesting and beautiful things to look at. I am in awe of how that door weathered - it's perfect! I hope that you link this up at Best of the Weekend, if you haven't already (I haven't had a chance to check the links yet).

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh so much prettiness and creativity! Love the sink with the dishes and your door with that hose wreath!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Just popping back in to let you know I'm featuring you at Vintage Charm today. Thanks so much for sharing your fabulous garden with us AnnMarie. It's really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Just popped over from Vintage Charm...wow. Your yard is like heaven to me! I live in AZ....need I say more? lol! Dona

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hi AnnMarie,
    I so loved your garden tour, everything is so beautiful! I know that you guys had a late start to Spring this year, our family on the east coast has had a wet and cold start! Love all the garden décor you used, the plates are a great idea! I found a little old picket fence piece last year that I put in my garden - I love using things like that too. That plate diy that you made is amazing - I have never seen those before and will have to look them up on Pinterest! What a great diy gift too!
    I love how the white door looks now after being forgotten outside - the perfect outcome, it's gorgeous!
    Wishing you a wonderful rest of your week!
    Hugs, Kimberley

    ReplyDelete
  48. Oh my goodness, I have had the best time strolling through your beautiful garden. It is a vision splendid! So, so many glorious pretties to stop and drink in. You have so many whimsical and clever touches. Love the weathered door; it is perfect.
    Love the hands in which the birds are resting. There are so many brilliant ways you have repurposed your vintage finds. Love the Quince bush and the little peek at those pretty curtains at your window. As I strolled I was delighted at the pretty china hiding in pockets of your garden. I am an LOVE with your porch......everything in your garden is a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  49. AnnMarie, I just found your post and I am so excited to see all your garden doings! I am in the midst of getting my flower beds weeded and perked up for summer and it's about all I can think about! It is such fun to see what someone else is doing with their yard. SO...I am signed up to receive your posts!

    One issue I'd like to mention is that I only can see about half your photos. The others a blank white. Or some are only half the image. Have you heard of anyone else having this problem? It may be my rather senile computer at fault. I just tho't I'd mention it in case there is another cause.

    ReplyDelete
  50. AnnMarie, I just found your blog and I am so excited to see what you are doing with your yard. I am just getting my flower beds weeded and perked up with flowers for Summer and that is about all I think about these days! I love putting vintage things in among the plants to give them a little longer life. SO, I am signed up to receive your posts and I can't wait. BTW, I found you through Diana at Adirondack Girl at Heart whose blog I love, also.

    One thing I'd like to mention, tho', is that I can see only about half of the photos on your blog. The others are just a blank white screen, and the others only a half photo. Has anyone else mentioned this problem to you?'
    It's probably my old senile computer doing something weird but I tho't I'd just check with you to see if others have had this issue. Thanks for sharing your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naomi! So glad you found me and want to follow my posts! Thank you! I have that photo issue (and a lot of other issues, like just scrolling through) when I visit other blogs myself sometimes. No one else has mentioned it to me and I don't have a clue why that happens!

      Delete
  51. ohhhh AnnMarie, your yard is wonderful! So many lovely spots to look at and enjoy.

    I wanted to let you know about your purple irises...you said you were hesitant about moving them? Don't be! I have had several different varieties and they are what I like to call "Hard to kill". I have moved mine many times during the summer and they always come back next year.

    Cut it back to the ground after it's done blooming, dig up the tubers and replant wherever it'll get the most Sun and water it once a week. It'll be fine, I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  52. I like the idea of a tardy garden :-) and it's certainly made up for its lateness, it is looking lovely now with all your bits and pieces.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hey, was für ein schöner Post. Er läd einen geradezu dazu ein dich einmal zu besuchen und den wunderbar originell gestalteten Garten in echt zu sehen.
    Liebe Grüße tinkerkwieny

    ReplyDelete
  54. AnnMarie, just letting you know that I am featuring your beautiful garden tonight on Best of the Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  55. AnnMarie, I think Dad's Garden is perfect! And I love yours with all the neat vignettes and vintage props. So creative and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Oh how I love that garden door. So chippy and perfect in your garden. Loved seeing all your fun creative pieces in your garden decor.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  57. So glad you shared this post with our garden party Ann Marie. Love it all!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment...I treasure each one! Do you know if you are a no reply comment blogger? I love to reply to your comments but sometimes instead of an email there is a noreply-comment@blogger.com. It can easily be changed by changing the setting in your blogger profile to "show email address".