Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Shutters in My Garden

You know how you are just scrolling through your favorite blog, décor magazine or Pinterest and you see something and a lightbulb goes off? "I have that!" and "I can do that!" you exclaim.

When that happens to me I have to get up immediately and go do it.


I have had two royal blue outdoor shutters in my garage for a few years. It was one of those impulse buys that I had to have but had no idea what I would do with them.


I have been trying for a month now to incorporate an old door I got at a yard sale into my garden. I showed it to you here. It just isn't working. I remembered the shutters in my garage and got an idea.

If the door wouldn't work, I would make the shutter work! I had just gotten a great weathered wood board with a rusty shovel on it at an antique sale and I thought it would be perfect. 


I nailed it on.

I had an old shovel in my garden that had rusted to perfection. I nailed it on too. A few nails into a skinny tree standing amongst my Christmas tree ferns and done! Interesting. Different. I like it.


Then my Garage Sale Queen friend Susan texted me a picture of a bi-fold shuttered door, all chippy and weathered looking. Did I want it for $1? YES! Again, not knowing what I was going to do with it but I had this thing about putting a door in my garden.
 
I just randomly hung my animal keys there!
 
I recently had two overgrown bushes removed from the side of my house, one in preparation for moving my lilac bush over and the other was left empty. That is where this vignette was going.
The before.....
 
 
 I have seen so many really great potting tables made out of old benches, doors, windows and tables. That's what I wanted. I needed a table.
 
A few days later Susan texted me again with a picture of a great table that would go great with the shutter door. It was a drop leaf and it looked small in the picture. Yes!
 
Then the debate on what to do with it all started. It was bigger than I thought. Do I take the leaves off and attach the shuttered door to the back of the table and make a sort of potting bench? Didn't look right.
 
The door is crooked because it is literally just standing there on it's own!
 
This way didn't look good either....
 
 
After deciding not to take this great farmhouse table apart (besides, the hinges were thickly painted on!) I tried a vignette Susan hand drew and texted to me........
 
 
I styled it up over a few days with stuff I already had. The green plastic watering can is a recent find.
 
 
 

 
 
I need to plant something to fill in the front this Fall. I am not crazy in love with it but it fits there and it's kinda cute.
 
What do you think?
 
At the risk of this post being too long, I thought I'd show you one more picture. I am sure you have been wondering what I did with the other royal blue shutter!
 
I brought it indoors and added it to a vignette I already had going in my narrow front hall. It was quite trying getting a good picture as there is little light and a railing blocking my shot!
 
 
I encourage you to ignore the worn floor, as it is on the list of things to fix!
 
 
AnnMarie xoxo
 
 
I am linking up with these great blog parties:



40 comments :

  1. I love what you did with your shutters! The colors are great and the ones in the garden are really going to pop in the fall against all the orange and red foliage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pictures! They are great ideas. I have 2 shutters I'm trying to use also. Have a great day. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable vignette!! I love it! It turned out too cute and is a perfect filler for that outdoor space! Once it weathers a bit, it will be even more perfect!! Love the little inside vignette also! Fits the space perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi AnnMarie, I love this vignette in your garden with the table, shutter and little flower chair stand. Such an inspiration and so farmhouse style. The royal blue shutter looks great inside too. You just have the touch and your idea turned out perfect.
    Thanks for sharing. Have a blessed day. cm

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does look magazine worthy! A great vignette.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the look of old shutters just about anywhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi AnnMarie! I think I'd plant a trailing plant like ivy in the white bowl. If it's full enough you can just pop it in and keep it in the pot. What about installing hangers on the shutters for your tools? Looks cute - I'm trying to spiff up an old rusted baker's rack on my patio so I can use it for my son's graduation party. I usually just keep my garden tools and potting soil on it. Fun! ----- Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the shutters, chair and potting table vignette. In every season, it'll look good with your touch, pumpkins, grapevines, bittersweet, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The shutters are a perfect addition to the interior and exterior of you gorgeous home.
    I adore the farmhouse vignette and it looks like a perfect spot to actually use as a potting spot for your Autumn flowers. You have a real eye for detail!
    Hugs,
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the vignette you created in the garden. The blue shutter looks great in your hallway. I use shutters as trellises for my clematis. I knock out a few slats for them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job with the shutters! I'm like you...I have to immediately get up and work on the inspiration or it never gets done. I really love the garden shutter chair vitgnette. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty shutter/potting table vignette! Looks like a place I would love to pot plants and enjoy the outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE the vignette you created, AnnMarie! I wasn't sure where you were going with it from the first couple of pictures, but I was smiling by the time you did the big reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet AnnMarie, the vignette that you created is simply beautiful! I love how creative your are, my friend. You have certainly inspired me to think outside of te box when it comes to yard decor. Thanks for sharing with Roses of Inspiration. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty results! Gives the garden some flair!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice vignette! I admire this because I am not a garden person but I love seeing them. Think it might just be a feature for next week's Let's Talk Vintage! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The shutters are so pretty and so is your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job..and admire the stick-to-it-ness. I'm a visualizer, so I rip everything apart in my head and do it again a thousand times, before I start shuffling stuff. So your tenacity is rewarded!…love the finish on the shutter door

    ReplyDelete
  19. The only thing I love better than Johnny Depp is SHUTTERS. love them to pieces.
    I use mine inside....your potting bench is perfect with those shutters....I love it.
    I am looking for some shutters to hang on my wall behind my sofa...haven't found them yet, tho.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the shutters and the unique ways you've used them! The potting bench table area is so pretty, you have styled it so well! Too cute! ~Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your idea turned out great! I love the look of everything together in the garden, especially the seat with the plant placed in it, wonderful idea. :)
    Putting your blue shutter in the house was a great idea and looks lovely.

    Have a beautiful day ~ Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  22. My kinda Lady!! Taking unwanted items and turning them into gold!! I love the way you layered the outdoor double shutter! It's all a work in progress isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh I LOVE the color of those blue shutters! Perfect in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks really great in your garden there, the 3 pieces together work really well together, cute idea inside too, I also found some shutters in the garbage that I took and have in my garage waiting for a good idea

    ReplyDelete
  25. Shutter LOVE! I love what you did with everything, especially the sweet vignette you created with the tall shutter doors. Thanks for inspiring us at VIParty.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks so much for dropping by!!
    Love the shutters! Great ideas! Thanks for the inspiration!!

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the vignette you came up with in your garden! You know I love shutters and doors, and that chair is darling and perfect in a garden too. You styled the table perfectly with your wonderful garden items! All of it together adds so much interest to the side of your house.

    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi sweet friend! I wanted to let you know that this lovely post will be featured at Roses of Inspiration later today. Thank you for sharing :) Have a wonderful week. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have a serious love for shutters and I love what you did with them. That table is fabulous too. Great vignettes.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love shutters of any kind...and like what you did with yours! Loving the shutter colors!

    ReplyDelete
  31. The garden vignette is perfect Ann Marie! The table looks much better placed to the side. I have been wanting some tall shutters. Had to pass them up twice because I couldn't get them home. Can't believe you got that for $1. The old shovels are fun on your small shutter also. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  32. These blue shuttered are just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love all the different shades of blues you have going on in these various vignettes, everything is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Ann Marie, just hopping back to let you know that I will be featuring you at SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  35. Such a sweet display. The keys may have been an afterthought but I just love them! Visiting from Stephanie's link up today. So nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi AnnMarie--I LOVE your garden decor to death! You did such a great job pulling it all together, and I loved reading the unfolding of the whole story. What a sweet friend you have in Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your garden vignette is just adorable. I love the shutters!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love this shutter also. Would be great for back side of my townhouse which gets extreme afternoon sun in the summer. But I probably would never be allowed to install. Also, it would prevent my watching all the bird activity on my patio, and I don't want to miss that
    shades houston

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment...I treasure each one! Do you know if you are a no reply comment blogger? I love to reply to your comments but sometimes instead of an email there is a noreply-comment@blogger.com. It can easily be changed by changing the setting in your blogger profile to "show email address".