Thursday, September 22, 2011

Apple Crisp and other things....

Tomorrow is the first day of Autumn Equinox. My husband has the day off so we are going to garage sale our way to Schutt's Cider Mill in Webster, NY (don't worry Jena, I will go again with you next week!) to get THE best apple cider and homemade fried cakes around. Their cider is clear and so crisp tasting. It is also a farm market and gift shop with a lot of great things to look at and buy. A nice woman at work gave my husband some apples and so I had to make my first apple crisp of the season. This is an old Betty Crocker recipe and what I think is the best I've ever tasted. I am kind of a messy baker....I keep the recipe right where I am measuring and mixing. You can go through any of my cookbooks and tell which recipes are my favorites because the page looks like this!
This recipe makes an 8 x 8 pan, which is never enough, so I double it for a 13 x 9 pan and then sometimes 1 1/2 times the topping....yum!
Here it is in readable form:

4 cups sliced, pared tart apples ( about 4 medium)
2/3 to 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oats
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
Heat oven to 375. Grease square 8 x 8 pan. Place apple slices in pan. Mix remaining ingredients thoroughly. Spread over apples.
Bake 35 minutes until apples are tender and top is golden brown.
6 servings

Today I am also finishing up some button gifts I have been working on. When I first started making button items all my friends got them as gifts. I started making these frames earlier this year, combining scrapbooking paper craft with buttons. This one is for a dear friend who LOVES to knit and LOVES sheep. Her name is Bonnie and if you look close at the top of the frame above the two sheep it says "Baa    nie". I just have to glue it all on and it will be done!
There are other frames like this in my Etsy shop.....like these for a baby girl....
and for a baby boy....

there are also seasonal frames, like this one for fall....

and for summer....

you can find all these at http://www.thebuttonlady3.etsy.com/

Another button gift I am working on today is for a baby girl with the initial K and a butterfly theme....after I glue it all down and embellish it a little more, I will attach a ribbon  to hang it from.
Here is a picture of what I made for my new granddaughter's room..... her theme is ladybugs....

Have a wonderful Fall weekend!
AnnMarie

1 comment :

  1. Love your frames AnnMarie! Got my eye on that knitting frame...will have to see if it is still in your shop. I have a nice photo of Jena holding the lovely Wedding frame you made her.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment...I treasure each one! Do you know if you are a no reply comment blogger? I love to reply to your comments but sometimes instead of an email there is a noreply-comment@blogger.com. It can easily be changed by changing the setting in your blogger profile to "show email address".