Sunday, February 16, 2014

Thrifting: Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow

Ah, thrifting can be so bittersweet.



My main goal for thrifting is to find unique vintage treasures to sell in my Etsy shop. At least that is the story I am sticking with. I don't need a thing for my home.

But that doesn't mean I don't WANT to keep some of the things I find FOR my home!

I shop what I love so everything is going to be perfect for some nook somewhere.

I have vintage on the brain 24/7 and have my eye out for it whenever I leave the house. I pick up some of my best stuff when I just happen to see something. But when I get the itch to go all out thrifting for the day I expect to come home with a trunk load of good stuff.


All from one former trip!

My recent day out was not so great in volume but oh so good in variety and value.

I see so much of what I already have in my shop so I have to resist buying another one of this or that. I am looking for unique and different. I think I found it this time.

My first stop was the Habitat for Humanity ReStore. It is a great place to donate items or find great vintage items. They use the proceeds to build homes for those who can't afford them.

I found this great cane seat rocker tucked all the way in the back, marked down to 1/5th it's original price. It is perfectly chipped and weathered and vintage.


Of course I can find a perfect spot in my dining room for it.


 But, alas, it will go in my shop.

I also found this solid, heavy cast iron ornate Rococo frame, the gold gilt perfectly worn in all the right places. It was more than I would spend on a thrifted item but it was marked half price and worth every penny.


Looks so good on my side table in the parlor with my hand painted rose milk glass lamp (a thrifted item that I gave in and HAD to keep for myself!).


But alas, it will go in my shop.

My next stop, was the Volunteers of America, which is a wonderful place to donate or thrift, whose proceeds go to help the hungry, homeless and helpless in the community. I only found one item there but it is unique and from a local department store of my youth, Sibley, Lindsey and Curr or Sibley's as we all called it. Gone now, it was one of the best stores for everything!

A set of four playing card holders, spring loaded to hold your cards with ease!




This is a great novelty gift for the card enthusiast, so, it will go in my shop!

I found this great Art Nouveau brass inkwell stand with the pen holder and couldn't resist it's Downton Abbey flair. Yes, I can see Violet now using this to write a scathing note to Isobel about how she talks too much!


At my final stop I couldn't resist getting a few things for the porch or garden, as if buying them now would make all the snow go away. These are heavy, cast iron tea light lanterns. Growing up spending summers on the St. Lawrence River in Upstate NY, I am partial to the fish. The kitty is pretty special too.




I could easily hang either lantern on my side porch. And when I did, and took a picture, it started snowing on my fish....hey!! (You may have to click on the picture to see it snow).


But alas, these will also go in my shop.

So I mentioned that thrifting can be bittersweet.

I love the sweetness of the hunt and finding wonderful deals while contributing to the cause of local charities. The bitter comes when I have to part with those treasures because people actually want to buy them!

Parting is such sweet sorrow, but, it is all good!


AnnMarie xoxo

I am linking up to these great blog parties:

A Bouquet of Talent Linky Party
Amaze Me Monday
Make It Pretty Monday
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
You're Gonna Love It
The Scoop
Adorned From Above Link Party
What's It Wednesday
Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop
Be Inspired
Freedom Fridays with all My Bloggy Friends
Pink Saturday


13 comments :

  1. I love your finds.
    Have a great day.
    Debi @Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Love love the rocker you found. Those vintage playing card holders are adorable. How sweet are those?!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is hilarious, yet so true!! I feel the same way. The first rule of picking is "never form an emotional attachment," but come on!!! It's so hard not to when we love & accumulate exactly what we sell. It was so cute how you presented each item. Alas......I hope you have many sales, AnnMarie!
    AntiqueShopGirl
    P.S. I LOVED Sibley's, too. I could shop there all day long. Too bad they didn't have an antique department! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your cast iron tea lights. My parents had an owl. My sister got it after their passing. I love it. Thanks for visiting me today.. Have a great rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those garden ornaments!! Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The good thing about getting rid of some things is now you have room for more finds. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - this made me soooooo homesick. We don't have thrifting where I live...I miss it so much. What great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I gotta hand it to you - difficult as it is to part with these "finds" - they don't all end up in your house somewhere but in your shop.
    You can set them up up in your house, thought, until someone buys them and have your cake and eat it tool

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fabulous finds!

    Share with me! Blog Hops every Friday at The 104 Homestead

    ReplyDelete
  10. The little Humpty Dumpty Lamp is my choice in the first photo, just adorable. I usually just shop for myself and try to be choosy so I don't become "overloaded"
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great items! I love the card holders - my son would enjoy using them :) I haven't been to the Thrifty in quite a while....you have made me want to go and see what I can find! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great finds! The lamp is adorable and I've never seen the card holders.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH my....super finds! Love the snow falling in the last photo by the way! I am just tired of receiving it on my lawn. :)
    Enjoy your week and I think it is time for me to go thrifting.... tee hee!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment...I treasure each one! Do you know if you are a no reply comment blogger? I love to reply to your comments but sometimes instead of an email there is a noreply-comment@blogger.com. It can easily be changed by changing the setting in your blogger profile to "show email address".